Sunday, September 20, 2009

8 Years

It's been Eight Years since the attack on the Twin Towers in NYC.

And, all I saw on the news was something that said, "Eight years, and look how much America has GROWN"

This was slightly upsetting to hear...

I'm sorry, but what happened to "We will never forget" and broadcasting what happened on TV, and a moment of silence to those who had fallen?

Every September 11th I spent in Idaho was like this: news broadcasts on the tragedy, radio station tributes, moments of silence, flags everywhere for a week...

Maybe because I'm in Oregon it's different.

Honestly, because there wasn't ANY news on it here (at least not via antennae because that's all we can afford) Seth and I didn't even realize it was September 11th until we went out to dine for date night and saw the date on the receipt...

How sad is that!?

Granted, that week was busy, but that's no excuse. I can and will do better, and the media can and SHOULD.

In my own way, to make up for dropping the ball on that day...

Something I have been curious about, and I'm sure others have been too, is why hasn't ground zero changed? Where is the "Freedom Tower" that has been promised? How exactly have we "grown" when we haven't changed anything for the better after something so terrible?

Here's an answer

And, I want to thank Glenn Beck for asking the very same question.

I remember, clearly, where I was that day:

It was a normal school day. I got up, got ready to music over the radio, got in my car and went to my first class. Art.

The TV was on...weird, I thought.

Then I saw what was on the TV and I couldn't believe my eyes.

I watched as the second plane hit the second tower. I saw footage of people jumping from the windows. I watched in wonder as the first tower collapsed, still not believing what I was seeing.

Every class that had a TV was tuned to the news. I was unfortunate to not have any TVs in any of the following classes that day. I remember the principal coming over the speakers informing those who weren't watching that the second tower collapsed. We then had a moment of silence.

My sister and I drove home slower that day.

My mom had turned on the news upstairs, even though she was teaching downstairs, when we got home. There was no homework important enough to do that day. There was no pressing rehearsal or performance that could have taken me away from that screen.

The next few days were similar. No TVs in class, but everything and everybody was somber and none of us took what we had for granted anymore.

All of a sudden, the things that should have been the most important all along became even more important.

I know I have never been the same since that day, and I still cry when I think about what happened.

Where were you?

No comments: