Saturday, May 9, 2009

Coming Home Was Harder Than I Thought

Porter and I made the trip back to Oregon in two days. I decided to make a stop in Boise so I could cut down some driving time, and so I could see my sisters again.
The next day we continued our traveling...
I couldn't believe how many things went wrong that day.
First: I made a stop at a Shell gas station to fill up so I could have a full tank starting out, but the pump I went to didn't work, and I couldn't just leave Porter in the car and go in the station, so I just drove.
Second: I got lunch at McDonalds...still in Boise...and the lady who took my order gave me two drinks when I had only wanted one. I had to pay for it too. Lame.
I didn't stop for gas at the Chevron in Boise because Porter was sleeping and I wanted to get going...besides, I like having gas pumped for me in Oregon.
Third: I couldn't stop in Ontario for gas because there were like a million trucks blocking my way back into the right lane, and none of them seemed to have the desire to be courteous. SO I was about at empty after passing Ontario.
I decided to make a stop at the next exit that I could see so that I could get gas.
Fourth: The exit I chose was a bad choice.
I saw a town in the mountains right after passing Ontario...it was off a Weiser exit. I figured I could get to it, and to a gas station before my dial was at "E"
(I'm going to stop counting now...)
I passed the town...
and started freaking out.
I'm going to run out of gas in the middle of nowhere!
is all I could think.
I started crying and asking myself why in the world did I ever think I could travel so far without Seth?!
In the meantime, my GPS kept chirping "recalculating" and "when possible, make a U-turn"
This wasn't helping
I eventually called Seth, while manic, and he tried to calm me down...
unsuccessfully.
I spotted a house and pulled into their drive to ask for directions to a gas station, and got off the phone with Seth so I could talk to the lady who opened the door.
Porter woke up...so much for thinking he would be a sleeping baby for most of the trip.
The lady told me I needed to go to Weiser for gas.
Weiser was back in Idaho.
I went... I got gas... I had to pump it myself!
Luckily the pump worked this time. Had it not, I think I would've gone crazier.
All of this added another hour to my already lengthy trip.
When I started driving again, I started crying again. This time I was angry with myself for not stopping at the Chevron I saw by McDonalds.
I found my way back to the freeway easily.
Guess what was right by the freeway at the next exit...not even 20 miles from the Weiser exit.
You're right...
A gas station.
Of course.
I'm just glad the rest of the trip went smoothly and I was able to get gas before I was on empty at all. Porter was an angel child until about the last two hours. I'm glad he is so easy to travel with, but I'm even more glad to be home with Seth.
I'm so happy Seth is done with finals! Congrats on finishing your first year of Optometry School!

2 comments:

Alex and Anna said...

oh that sounds like a frusterating trip. I dont like driving without Aelx either! I'm glad you made it safe though and didn't run out of gas!! Congrats to Seth on school!

Melissa said...

That sounds like the worst drive EVER! I took a wrong exit once while going to BYU-I, and I went CRAZY! I called Dad and was crying and was like, "I don't know where I am or where I'm going! You've gotta help ME!!!" So, I totally know that panickey feeling. Glad you made it home safe!