Thursday, July 8, 2010

Our Independence Day

I love the Fourth of July!

I love everything about it--the history, dressing up, the barbecues, the concerts, the fireworks--everything!

For the Primary kids that day, I put together a special presentation for Singing Time.

I told stories about the history of the signers of the Declaration of Independence coming to President Woodruff to have their temple work done for them, the making of the flag (including what the colors symbolize), and the history behind our national anthem.

They loved it, and I'm so glad!

I actually ran across a poem on Sugardoodle that I added to the presentation because it was so good:

Listen
by Teresa Bateman

Listen -
Can you hear it?
That soft whisper in the trees?
The sound of honest cotton
Reaching out to catch the breeze?
Unfurling in the gentle winds
Red, White, and Blue it flies-
The flag of our great nation
Standing crisp in freedom's skies.
Listen-
Can you hear it?
That soft flutter in the wind?
A touch of martial music,
A soft-sung distant hymn.
The weeping of a war-bride,
A wounded soldier's moan,
The sound of distant cannon,
A bugle's lonely tone.
Listen-
Can you hear them?
Those who struggled valiantly
Through years of war and hardship
That their children might be free?
The winds of change are blowing.
Can we stand before the test?
Have you noticed it's the strongest winds
That make the flag show best?
Listen-
Can you hear it?
That soft whisper in the trees?
The sound of honest cotton
Reaching out to catch the breeze?
Unfurling in the gentle wind,
Red, White, and Blue it flies-
The flag of our great nation
Standing crisp in freedom's skies.
Remember what it represents-
The cost behind the vision.
Look up-
Can't you see the way it beckons to you?
Listen.

I hope everyone had an amazing time watching fireworks and having fun with family and friends, but I mostly hope you remembered what the day was about.

I'm so grateful for the men who risked their lives to found this great nation, and for the men who are currently risking their lives, money, and their reputations to keep this nation free.

We went to the fireworks show in Banks that night.

There was quite an impressive group there!

But...I forgot my camera's batteries that were charging, so I didn't get any pictures.

Porter loved the fireworks, and even narrated them for all of us..."That's blue...green...red...yellow...Daddy's favorite!...pretty!...my favorite!...fireworks!...Big one!"

Happy Independence Day!

PS: I couldn't keep from crying while in the process of making the presentation.

The two times I gave it that day--for Junior Primary and Senior Primary--I also couldn't keep the tears from coming.

I became a mom and now I'm becoming my mom :)

PPS: I may make this presentation a tradition in our family to give every year...we'll see.

No comments: