Thursday, June 11, 2009

Punishment for Intelligence

Okay, I am only going to state the facts in this situation. I tend to start to go on my redheaded rampage when I talk about this, so facts only...here we go.




While Seth and I were living in the {A} Apartments, we used community washers and dryers, and Porter looked like this:






Please note the red blotches.

We took Porter to the doctor, and Dr. {M} diagnosed him with baby eczema, and suggested we use Aveno baby soaps and lotions while bathing him. We were already using the baby detergents.

So, we started using Aveno, and Porter continued to look like this:





Red blotches not as noticeable, but there's some on his forehead and he constantly had little bumps all over his little body that you can't see...but they're there. They just never turned pink.



I asked Dr. {M} if this was normal for eczema, and she said yes.



So, I thought, since community washers are used by so many people, not all the soap that is irritable to Porter's skin is going to be washed out. Maybe that's why he still gets breakouts. We should get a portable washer and dryer!



Genius!



I looked off craigslist for a portable washer and dryer and found these beauties:




A washer that connects to a sink and a dryer that works from a regular outlet. Perfect! Plus, the people selling them lived at the {GG} Apartments we were moving into! Even more perfect!




We moved into the {GG} apartment and moved these right on in with us.



Porter started looking like this:









Even less blotches! Nothing on his back and he rarely broke out. Problem solved!...or at least mostly averted.




Now, after we moved in to the {GG} Apartments, we have had the owners, the maintenance, and the managers in at least 8 times before the most recent time. And, they saw the washer and dryer and never said a word to us about them.




Until about a month and a half ago.




The manager and the maintenance man came in for a "quarterly inspection." It just so happened that I was doing laundry that day, and the washer was connected to the sink. (When I did the wash, it took about at day and a half if it was big, but when I was done, Seth would push the washer back into the third bedroom.) The maintenance man saw the washer, looked right at me, and said, "you can't have that." Um, what? "It says in the rules that you signed that you can't have any appliances in the apartment." What? I think I'm going to check that. "Okay, you do that, but you can't have those."




I was totally taken aback, and, truthfully, upset. So, I looked at the house rules sheet they gave us and this is what it says: Appliances cannot be added to or removed from the apartment.




Well, these are portable, so they're not added to the apartment. We're not breaking any rules.




Seth came home at this point, and I told him the situation. He went over to the manager and the regional manager, {K}, and told them, The washer and dryer aren't added to the apartment. They're portable like a TV or a microwave. But the argument didn't "work." So, he told them the reason we had them at all, which was because of Porter's skin condition. When Seth told {K} that, she said, "Well, why didn't you say that in the first place? Write a letter to the owners explaining that, get insurance on them, and I bet you'll be able to keep them."




So we did.




About a month later, we were called back into the office and given a form for Dr. {M} to sign. We took it to her, and she said she couldn't legally sign it because Porter's skin condition cannot be labeled as the "disability" the form required. But, because Dr. {M} wanted us to keep the W and D since it helped Porter, she wrote a note to the owners that said that.




We came back to the office with that note, and {K} told us, "The note isn't good enough. You can't keep the W and D unless the doctor checks the two boxes on the form saying Porter has a disability and she recommends we change our policy to accommodate it. After the form is signed and checked, then we would want her note explaining." Why are you adding things every time we come in? "We're not. It's been this way the whole time"




Uh huh.




Well, we would like to speak to the owners, please. "You can't. You can only go through me." We would like to speak to them so we can explain Porter's health in our words (we thought maybe {K} thought we were pulling their legs) "I don't care about the health of your son. Get the form signed and checked, get the doctor's note, and you can keep them."






And now, I will take a break so I don't go on my rampage.






Moving on...






We waited until Porter's 15 month appointment to bring it up with Dr {M} again. This time, we were wondering if what Porter had was really eczema. Every other child we've seen with eczema looked similar to each other, but not to Porter. They didn't get little bumps, just redness, so we thought maybe he had some form of a contact dermatitis. She stuck to her eczema...checked only one box of the form, and signed it. I'm glad she signed it, but it wasn't good enough because she didn't check both boxes.




So, we didn't even turn it in, and we posted our W and D on Craigslist, giving up hope.




And now, Porter's got a major breakout all over his body...and I don't think I've ever disliked someone so much before in my entire life.





But, I'm trying to let it go. Especially since I can't do anything else about it.

11 comments:

Lara said...

Ew. Sooooooo stupid. The letter of the law is so built into some people that they don't realize how cruel they are and what they can affect.
That last picture broke my heart into a million pieces. As a mother (bear) myself, I feel for you through and through. I would be SO. SO. SO. SO. mad. In fact I AM, and he's not even my son.

Brianne Pitts-Wells said...

Sorry about the ordeal. What a pain. Doesn't seem like they should care all that much. Lame.

Laura Howe said...

are you freaking kidding me. I would be so angry. I would keep them anyway. And I would get a second opinion from a doctor and I would hide a dead fish in K's office.

Lydia had a rash that looked like that for a while on her legs, and I think it was because of our lotion. I bet you are right about the it not being excema.

Jamie & Ryan said...

Oh my gosh, I would be SO MAD!!! Apartment managers are the worst, aren't they? They are never willing to listen to anything you have to say - simply because they don't care. We had an experience a little while back where we had some stuff stolen out of our apartment when we were in the process of moving to a new apartment and they were terrible to us. Ugh... won't it be so wonderful when we both have houses of our own? I can't wait!!

Katies Korner said...

That really sucks....but if it helps at all Lily gets little bumps all over her body sometimes that you cant see, but feel. She had them when she was born and they come back from time to time. The doctor just said that its her skin type. Hope is gets better!

Unknown said...

Okay as an apartment manager, I think this is way ridiculous. Here's some loop hole if you want it. If they came into the apartment and saw the "appliances" in your apartment, and didn't say anything then technically they voided that agreement that you initially signed. When they came back a whole month and a half later its a bit too late to start playing by the rules. By them being silent they agreed to you having that in your apartment. It's an issue I would bring up if you want to pursue it, but it sounds like they are just totally taking things overboard. It also sounds fishy that they do "routine inspections" for no apparent reason.

I'm sorry for your little one. That is just so much bull. Also, a second opinion might be worth it. I can understand just wanting to get over the situation though.

Kristina said...

Way to fight for your son!!! I COMPLETELY understand what you're dealing with. What I've learned is that YOU are the only advocate for your child, no one else truly cares. Sounds brutal, but if anyone is going to help him it's going to be you (and you're doing an awesome job) I could talk for ever, I will spare you, but just reading your blog brought back my furry regarding my own son. I hope that everything works out for you guys and that you're able to keep the washer. It is clearly helping him!
By the way, HI :-) Hope you guys are enjoying your summer. Hopefully we'll be neighbors soon!

chelsey said...

Man! What a bummer! But I do love all your posts! You seem to always have a lot going on! Hope your getting some sun up there in Oregon!

The Browning Family said...

That is so sad. How do people get away with having those portable dishwashers in their apartments??? You could try wiping out the washer before you throw your clothes in. I know, just what every woman wants... Another step in the dreaded laundry process!!

casey.chelsea.cali said...

Hey! How are you?! Well to tell you the truth I would've just checked off the remaining box as if the doctor had. I know, dishonest, but if it meant no more breakouts for my baby I would do it. Hope it all works out:)

Milas Howe said...

that's way lame. I hope karma comes back around and gets that manager right where is counts. Also, we had to wash our clothes by hand on my mission. I wouldn't recommend doing all of your clothes by hand, but it surprisingly doesn't take a whole lot to do it. It's a semi-happy medium between the two until you get things sorted out. You just add the detergent to the sink, soak the clothes for a little while, scrub at the dirty spots, rinse and dry. I actually made Lydia start washing our garments by hand. All those ones that were yellow, are nice and white (or maybe that's because Laura bought me new ones - I can't remember). Good luck either way.