Monday, December 15, 2008

The Dreaded Finals

Seth started finals week this week. He's been spending almost every hour of the day studying at the library, while I've felt very much like a single mom with Porter at home. Most days, I just hang out in my pajamas because I'm not in the mood to leave the house. When Seth is gone, I become lazy, like since I have no man in the house, there's no real reason to keep things clean or even shower *gasp*. What is wrong with me!?

I've been exhausted, still, even without doing everything. Granted, I've forced myself to accomplish cleaning the apartment because we'll be leaving for break soon, but if we weren't leaving I'm pretty sure it wouldn't look like it does. Porter wears me out!

I've been trying to get Porter on a schedule, finally, but he's not cooperating very well. In fact, he cries his little eyes out every time I force him to go to bed for a nap and it breaks my heart. I admit, I'm not as good as I should be in keeping him in the crib once I put him there, but if you heard his cry, you'd understand. It's like I'm torturing him. I need to be firmer, but I just can't help myself.

Porter is an official walker! Ever since last I wrote, he has become a semi-pro! He takes cute little baby steps with his hands out, and he's so wobbly! I love it. I know in another week or so he'll be running around the house. Maybe then I'll get the exercise I need ;)

Other than that, it snowed here yesterday and froze, so the roads are covered in sheets of ice and everyone in Portland area is driving 10 mph all over the place because no one seems to know how to drive in snow. Pretty pathetic, but I'm glad they're being "safe." I'm also glad I grew up in Idaho and lived in Ice-burg for 3.5 years. Nice to have some snow experience. While I was driving today (passing almost everyone) I imagined everyone saying after looking at my license plate as I drove by, "dang those people from Wyoming." Ha ha!

Being that they hardly ever have snow here, even if there's only an inch on the ground, they close school. I understand why, though. Too much ice. I don't think they even have a plow or any other form of "ice control." Plus, a lot of the teachers commute into Forest Grove. I just wish I lived here all those years in Twin growing up. I would've had a ton more snow days than just three in my lifetime. Problem about having snow days during finals is, Seth will have to take the final the next semester. So...no break for him. School was closed today, and luckily, Seth didn't have a final, but tomorrow he does. We're praying the snow melts and doesn't come back until after finals for his and all the students sakes.

I'm really excited and ready for the break, and I'm positive Seth is, too. I'm ready to have my husband back and I'm sure he's ready to be done studying.

PS: here's some proof of Porter's new walking abilities!

4 comments:

Richard and Diane said...

That's awesome that Porter is walking before he's 1. Brooklyn took her first steps at 11 months and didn't really take off till 13. I grew up in Seattle and yes they cancel everything when it snows, I remember seeing on the new just about every year that Portland gets really bad ice storms, they might not get much snow but there is a lot of ice.

Jamie & Ryan said...

Believe me, I know exactly what it's like to lose a husband to studying. Welcome to my world! At least you'll have Seth back after his final. I won't have Ryan back for about 10 years! That's why I think I just better have a baby to keep me busy while he's gone. :)

Liz said...

Well, I definitely recommend getting dressed as a beginning to cure the single-mom blues. You deserve to feel gorgeous just for you and Porter! Just a thought.
Speaking of Porter, he's looking a lot like you, I think. Handsome boy!

Kathryn said...

Porter walking!? Look at him go! Best Wishes to Seth and YOU too!