Monday, December 8, 2008

Christmas Carols Being Sung

Last Friday was the ward Christmas Program. I am on the activities committee and was put in charge of the program order and speaking parts. Sounds easy, right? Well, let me tell you, it wasn't. I thought with all my Vocal Union experience of ward Christmas shows would have been more help than it was. And, yes, that experience was helpful, but because of those shows, my expectations were really high. I thought everyone did a great job that night, but if I would have had the time, I would've fixed some of how smoothly it ran. I heard nothing but good comments on the program, so I'm happy to say that it went well. If I am put in charge next year, there are a few things I'll do differently. One being: have an actual rehearsal on stage in the cultural hall so that we can hear how long songs are, time them, and arrange mics accordingly. But, we'd have to be as professional as Vocal Union was to actually have it go as well as I would like it to...and that's not going to happen. All in all, though, I'm very happy with how it turned out. I think I'm even happier that it's over.

I have to say, I'm really missing all my experiences I had a BYU-Idaho at the moment. I have a lot of friends and family up there still who are having or continuing to have all the great experiences I had while I was there, and I feel like I'm just stuck at home missing out on everything. I love being Porter's mother, but I want to be able to do the things I love to do...like perform. I miss ballroom so much it hurts, and the only ballroom classes here are on Sundays, so that's not possible. I miss singing Jazz, but I don't know how to get into groups here that perform in clubs or otherwise. I miss professional choir like Collegiate Singers. I want to try out for Portland Symphonic Choir, but I missed the audition time in August, and they wont be having another audition in January so I have to wait until next August. I'm seriously going crazy here! It doesn't help that I torture myself more by looking at all the said friends and families pictures off facebook and otherwise all the time. Maybe I should stop doing that. I just feel a little jipped on my time at BYU-I, that's all. I know I've made the right decisions as far as Seth and Porter are concerned, but I just can't help feeling that way when I don't even have an opportunity to move on here.

Now that I'm done venting, I want to say that I really enjoyed Tuesday when I went Hip Hop dancing with a bunch of girls here. It was fun and funny to see all of us white girls attempting to be black. Thanks for teaching, Heather!

Also, Porter took at least four steps on his own last night!! He'll be walking on his own permanently in no time!

2 comments:

threelittlebackseatdrivers.blogspot.com said...

I track Whitney's next moves by what Porter is doing...so keep the milestones coming, lol. I know she is behind him at 8 months...but how many months is he exactly???

Alex and Anna said...

Sierra, it was fun reading your christmas tradition that is way cool how musically talented you and your family are. Music is a huge part of christmas. I can relate to you on missing dancing and performing. i don't miss that stuff because i am no good but i can relate to those feelings because i have missed soccer a lot... if that helps. You kind of take those things for granted when you are doing them all the time. I hope that you will be able to perform in the future! Its hard to stop doing something that you've loved for so long. anyway, i hope you have an awesome christmas! porter is growing up so fast i can't believe he's walking that is awesome!!